This weekend I headed to The Vineyard, a 5* hotel and spa near Newbury in Berkshire to check it out and determine whether it should make your spa break to-do list. The hotels own description is a ‘luxury five star hotel & spa in Berkshire with a 30000 bottle wine cellar, fine dining restaurant with impeccable service’ – enough to tempt me to check it out and give you my verdict.
The hotel appeared on Secret Escapes, where I could book an overnight stay with breakfast, use of the spa and a bottle of wine to take home for £130 using discounts (less than 50% of the usual rate of around £295). More on how to do that later….
The hotel at a glance
The hotel really exceeded all of my expectations. From the outside, it doesn’t look all that notable. But as soon as we stepped inside from start to finish the whole stay felt genuinely luxurious. No request was too much and every detail was thought of.
The hotel is unashamedly for wine lovers – the decor in the lounges, through to the guest rooms and the restaurant are all dedicated to, you guessed it…. wine. That said, you don’t have to be an aficionado to love this hotel. If you don’t fancy drinking wine, the hotel also has an impressive cocktail bar, and if you don’t want to spend your time wine-tasting – check out the spa.
There are 3 reasons why I think this hotel is worth a visit:
- Truly 5* service. As soon as we walked into the hotel, we were met by a host who took our luggage (which went straight to our room) and were handed a glass of wine whilst we checked in. That same quality of service was evident at dinner in the restaurant, the breakfast the following morning and in the spa.
- Impressive wine and great food. The hotel has a seriously cool wine cellar that has over 30,000 bottles from around the world. It’s quite a sight and the restaurant staff will guide you through the insane selection. The food was pretty good too. We opted for the California Bar menu which was pretty reasonable at £12-18 for main meals. The tasting menu looked great, but at £69 per head, it’s not for everyone.
- A good spa to chill out in. As a guest of the hotel, you can use the large pool, relaxation room, sauna and steam room. There are some areas of improvement here – but it’s still pretty good.
- Excellent personalised service
- Good food, wine and cocktails, given it’s a 5*, it’s pretty reasonably priced too
- A good spa with pool, relaxation room, sauna and steam room
- A chilled and not overly pretentious atmosphere with friendly staff
- Good breakfast made to order, or have it sent to your room for breakfast in bed
- The spa changing rooms are a bit claustrophobic and the sauna is small, making it tricky to use it when the hotel is busy
- If you’re not into wine, the references to vino throughout the hotel might be a bit much. It’s worth mentioning that there is a cocktail bar and beer offer too, though
How to book a stay for £130
You can book an overnight stay with breakfast, use of the spa and a bottle of wine to take home for £130 on Secret Escapes using discounts (less than 50% of the usual rate of around £295). Here’s how:
- Firstly, click here to create a new SecretEscapes account. This will give you £15 off your first booking.
- Head to TopCashback.co.uk and search for SecretEscapes. Click ‘get cashback’ and this will open the SecretEscapes website for you to proceed with your booking. As a result, you’ll get 10% back (£13.50).
- Book The Vineyard on the SecretEscapes website for your preferred dates. Make sure you’re logged in to your newly created account, as this will take £15 off the £159 room rate, bringing it down to £144.
With the cashback, that makes your stay just £130.50. You’re welcome!